Saturday 30 June 2012

Celebrities with Acne?

"How to Get Great Skin Like a Celebrity: 6 steps", "How do get perfect skin like a celebrity without make-up?" and "How to have glowing skin like a celebrity" are only a few examples of hundred thousand of results you will find online when you browse "Celebrity skin".
Their pictures are everywhere: in magazines, in television, newspapers, online. It is almost impossible to not stumble across a picture of a celebrity with perfect, flawless skin. Nearly everyone of us had a famous role model in their past, we adored them of their perfect skin, their perfect body, their perfect everything. Some of us still look up to them.

Before you read further please keep this in mind

When you read my post about Real Life Dolls - Dakota Rose & Valeria Lukyanova you'll know the thought behind it was to inform mostly young girls and women with low self esteem who model themselves on celebrities in general. This post is similiar. We are all human, no one is perfect. When you're aiming for perfection you will soon discover it is a moving target. Celebrities are human as well, they have to face pimples, weight gain and cellulite as every other woman or man.

This posts titbit: Acne

Acne. Nearly everyone have struggled with it in the past or still fights against it. It lowers our self esteem and destroys our souls by thinking we're ugly, unloved creatures. In my last year of high school I had a really tough time because of my skin. Suddenly pimples bob up everywhere, on my face and neck, on my cleavage, shoulders, on my back and even on the head. They were huge, my skin ached, was red and swollen and dried out. Because I was so ashamed of my skin I wore polo neck jumper and scarfs during spring, not allowing anyone to see my skin. I tried every lotion and cream you can buy in the drugstore, in the end my dermatologist could help by prescribing several strong creams I had to apply both in the morning and night. After a few months my skin was better, but it took around 2 years for my skin to heal completely. 

During this time I found myself envy celebrities and their pefect, flawless skin. Famous teenagers who were younger than me or perhaps the same age who had not a single pimple to worry about. It was degrading to see myself in the mirror with the celebrities face in mind. I not only felt ugly but also isolated. Never had I thought about photoshop back then until recently.


We live in a society and day in age where everything we see is been edited and retouched. Not only pictures, but moving images and film go through a complex amendemt too. Everyone can edit their pictures, celebrities are no exception. You might think pictures taken by paparazzi proofs authenticity and validness, but truth is they are edited most of the time as well (except for those scandalous pictures showing certain body areas...)



Again, I don't want to make fun of the fact people have skin issues but to appease everyone out there that we are perfectly fine just the way we are!

Why? Because retouched pictures can give us a sense of that we are not good enough, that we will never be as beautiful and perfect as for example celebrities.
Seeing a picture of a famous actress, singer or model who are suffering from the same problems we all suffer from appeases us with the truth behind those pictures that celebrities aren't different from us. They are human, they suffer from imperfection as we do, they have acne as we do. 


The only big difference is that they have access to brilliant and marvelous make-up artists and the ability to get their pictures and music videos retouched to appear flawless, beautiful, perfect and well- better looking than they really are. 
We can't blame them can we? We all have things we want to cover up, all of us use make-up to look better, to feel better. Seeing celebrities with acne is good for us, good for our self esteem because we are reminded that nobody is naturally perfect. 


Keeping this in mind is also important when you go shopping for make-up, because the advertisements and editorial we are looking at are all edited. The people on it are enhanced and appear more beautiful. They are fake. But again, if you would be a model posing for pictures you will soon see on huge billboards would you pass on retouching? I wouldn't. People want to look as best as possible, as beautiful as possible. 

This post is just a quick reminder that we all suffer from the same insecurities, celebrity or no celebrity.

"No one is perfect... that's why pencils have erasers." - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment