Sunday 6 January 2013

Review: 96 Shimmer Eyeshadow Palette (ebay)

[UPDATE 06/01/2013 - ORIGINAL POST FROM 2011]

Hello Beauty Junkies ~

Since I watched several videos from different make-up gurus on youtube I wanted to buy one of those legendary eyeshadow palettes.

I checked different websites, found palettes from Coastel Scents and MAC, BH Cosmetics and finally some on ebay.
The only difference between those palettes (as far as I was able to find out) was the price. I had the choice between an expensive palette from BH Cosmetics and a cheap one from ebay. Because I wasn't sure whether or not I would really use this palette I decided to get it from ebay.

(DISCLAIMER: I never bought the palette from BH Cosmetics or another brand, so I can't compare them!)



At first sight this palette is really great. 96 different colour, from white over yellow, orange and red to lots of greens, blues and browns. You find a few neutral colours but the main aspect lays on shimmery eye shadows.

As you can see in the picture above the distribution of different colours is more or less fair even though you have a few more pinks and violet colours. The only downside: this palette only comes with one true black eyeshadow.

The quality is so-so. A few gurus on youtube as well as some bloggers claim these are the exact same palettes as the ones you can find in the shops of BH cosmetics and coastal scents , I can't say anything to this aspect since I don't own a palette from the named brands.

Now let's have a closer look. Like I said before, the quality is only so-so. Most of the darker shadows are highly pigmented, only a few disappointed me (like the black shadow). Unfortunately half of the lighter colours come with a (really) bad pigmentation, so you have to build the colour up by sweeping the colour on the lid a few times.




Nevertheless the result on the lids are vibrant colours, which won't fade away and stay all day long without creasing.
Obviously you won't wear certain shadows on a daily basis, but for me I never would have purchased pink Barbie colors on their own, but it's really nice to have them in the palette.

I swatched a few colours for you so you can see how they look on the skin (I haven't applied an eyeshadow base!)




Now as you can tell the lighter pink on the first picture is not as highly pigmented as the others, same goes for the yellowish gold shadow on the second picture. As you might also tell a few shadows are a little bit too powdery and have a lot of fallout (pink one in the second, blue in the third picture).
Here is a close-up of one of the powdery shadows:




If you are acquainted with eyeshadows from Sleek and elf, I would rank this palette inbetween. A few shadows are really amazing, others not so. But keep in mind this palette comes with 96 shadows and I am definitely satisfied with it. When you're starting to build up a little storage you should look into this palette. I don't know how much you have to pay for it right now, but I paid less than 10$ which is a total bargain in my eyes.


Pros: 
96 different colours
most of them are highly pigmented
price perfomance ratio

Cons:
the lighter colours aren't as pigmented as the others
some are too powdery and have a lot of fallouts


Given that most of the shadows are shimmery, this palette isn't for you if you prefer non-glitter shadows.

Last but not least, the packaging was pretty good, my little sister could play with bubble-wraps all day long. If you're interesting in the ingredients, you can check them on the black boxes the palettes come in with.


No comments:

Post a Comment